Committees are the work-horses of Student Government. They take on projects, investigate and listen to students' concerns, and draft bills and resolutions to be presented to and voted on by the senate.
All senators are assigned to a committee, where they work with the chair and other members on the issues or projects at hand. Students' concerns can be addressed more effectively if they contact the committee chair to which their issue pertains.
Academic Affairs Committee
Academic Affairs Committee Chair: Anna Straughan
Academic Affairs deals with problems related to classes, supplemental educational opportunities, and academic policies issued by the University. We seek to improve Comets experience in the classroom.
- Transfer Equivalency Tool
- Consolidating and improving undergraduate academic advising
- Increasing availability and flexibility of "Core Curriculum" classes
- Maintaining and expanding the "Take One, Leave One" bookshelf
- Changing and phasing out the "Change of Major" fee
Communications Committee Chair: Kyle Tupper
The Communications Committee takes primary responsibility for establishing and maintaining effective mediums of communication between students and the senate body. Social media visibility, and project advertisement are two of the main responsibilities of the Communications Committee. The Committee's goal is to fully integrate these efforts through service to the University mission and vision.
- Social Media
- Advertisement of SG and UTD events
Graduate and International Affairs Committee
Graduate and International Affairs Committee Chair: Tiancheng Hu
As the GIA committee we advocate for the concerns of both the international and graduate student populations at UTD. We do this through close corporation with the International Center, various school departments, and cultural groups on campus. As a result of these relationships, we've been able to institute multiple recurring campus events and permanent resources for students to use.
- International Student Airport Pick-Up
- Networking events
- Information sessions
- Changing the Comet Cruiser bus route to include Wal-Mart on Fridays
Legislative Affairs Committee
Legislative Affairs Committee Chair: Thomas Hobohm
The Legislative Affairs committee works to ensure that students are educated about policies that affect them on the local, state, and national level. They also act as a voice for students when there is legislation that could potentially affect the well being of students. Additionally, they work to provide students with pertinent information if they were to ever get into a legal situation.
- Coordinating local, state, and federal representatives to present and speak on campus
- Providing transportation for international students to national embassies
- On-campus Collin County polling station
- Transportation to Collin/Dallas County polling stations for elections
- Hosting UT Dallas Town Halls and "Coffee Chats"
- Collaborating with non-partisan political engagement organizations to register voters
UT Dallas encourages students to participate in federal, state and local elections. Find out more information about the Higher Education Act and how you can register to vote.
Residential Student Affairs Committee
Residential Student Affairs Committee Chair: Mathi Siva
As the residential student affairs committee, we serve to make living on campus the best that it can be. We are the go-to for major problems concerning all students who live in the dorms/apartments and a vessel to relay information back to administration. In addition, we come up with unique projects that tailor to UTD student needs or bring innovative ideas from other campuses onto ours. Our overall goal is to make UTD not just a living/learning environment, but also a home away from home.
- Improving PA-Resident communications
- Updating Canyon Creek Heights
- Parking spots
- Vending machines
- Leisure activity areas
- Improving UV signage and lighting
- Bringing accessible first-aid kits to the Residence Halls
- Expanding on-campus pet policies
Student Affairs Committee
Student Affairs Committee Chair: Neha Khan
Our committee works with various departments on campus to better the lives of our students, primarily addressing issues related to student life outside of housing or academics. Members of this committee focus on providing new services to UT Dallas students, enhancing existing resources, improving access to current services, and conveying student feedback to various departments.
We have worked with multiple departments in the past including University Police, Dining Services, Facilities Management, Parking and Transportation, the Student Counseling Center, the Student Wellness Center, and the Office of Sustainability.
- Parking space advocacy
- TVs in the Dining Hall
- Credit card attachments to vending machines
- Student Counseling Center improvements
- Sustainability projects on-campus
Technology Committee Chair: Yilong Peng
This committee oversees various resources and tools used by both the senate and students. It is in charge of updating the Student Government website in order to keep information up to date. It also plays a key role representing student interest in the area of university policy regarding technology.
- Updating on-campus navigation in Google Maps
- Improving driver safety and metrics around campus
- Hosting monthly discussion and idea-pitch forums in-person and on Reddit
- Integrating Blackboard and Galaxy into the UTD App
- Consolidating an alumni network on Handshake
- Expanding the Virtual Reality program in the McDermott Library
Green Initiative Committee Chair: Genna Campain
As defined by Student Government resolution, the Green Initiative Ad Hoc Committee is aimed at improving campus sustainability. This includes items like infrastructure and efficiency projects; recycling and waste water reduction efforts; expanding mass transit availability; sustainability-oriented internships, scholarships and research grants for students; student-focused and sustainability-oriented assistantships/staffing; or other sustainability initiatives as proposed by students.
- Comet Composting
- Sustainble Semesters
- Increasing accessibility to healthy and sustainble food
- Reducing on-campus use of single-use plastic
Ad Hoc Committees
Student Government sometimes forms ad hoc committees to solve or investigate a specific and often urgent issue. Examples include the Textbook Savings Committee, Waterview Internet Inquiry Committee and the Standards Committee.